Monday 20 July 2015

Introducing why Georgina at Kohl Mama - Beauty in Gentle Parentingis #PositiveAboutBF

Whenever I'm asked 'why did you decide to breastfeed' I have real difficulty explaining my choices. Perhaps because it wasn't a choice, there was no choosing - when I was pregnant with my son I hadn't bought any bottle feeding paraphernalia, I had no idea about sterilising, I had a bumper pack of breast pads and I had stocked up on Coconut Oil. I was ready.



For me, it's always been less about choices and more about following my instincts. Unfortunately my instincts didn't get me very far with my eldest. I stopped breastfeeding on day twelve, utterly heartbroken and feeling like a failure.  I swore I would help other mothers who find themselves in the same position I was in, three and a half years ago.

During my second pregnancy I had come to know about La Leche League and baby cafés (drop in centres with peer supporters offering mother to mother support) - basically I gave myself no other option than to establish a successful breastfeeding relationship and here we are almost eighteen months later.

I live in Durham, North East England where breastfeeding rates are one of the lowest in the country. I am completely passionate about normalising the continuation of a healthy breastfeeding relationship and I hope I make a difference in my small corner of the world. I am honoured to be part of  the #PositiveAboutBF movement and I look forward to reading the contributions of others - especially during World Breastfeeding Week.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We will do our best to respond to your comment as soon as possible.