Saturday 25 July 2015

Introducing Why Sadie From Fit For Parenting is #PositiveAboutBF



I am #positiveaboutbf I have always been positive about breastfeeding but it hasn't always been easy.

To me growing up, breastfeeding was the norm, my Mum would breastfeed me in her lunch hour and I had no reason to think I wouldn't breastfeed.

Once I got pregnant, I was inundated with leaflets about breastfeeding by the midwives, I knew all the pro's, I accepted the bottle as an option too but was determined to breastfeed. I suffered from ante natal depression and I made sure the antidepressants I was given were breastfeeding friendly because my intention was to breastfeed.

Why not? It was the most natural thing in the world... right?

For me breastfeeding was hard, really hard. I was often left in tears, not producing enough to fill my son, bleeding nipples, illness; but I was determined to breastfeed.

I was surprised how hard it was, but I was more surprised at the lack of support. Midwives told me to suck it up and get on with it. Friends told me to stop being a 'hippy' and just bottle feed. I combination fed and felt everyone hated me - I wasn't a proper breast feeder for not exclusively breastfeeding, I was criticised by formula feeders for still trying to breastfeed as if I felt I was better than them.

I am a hard working career woman, I own my own business, went back to work early and expressed in the toilets. I didn't fit the stereotype of a breastfeeding Mum apparently. This confused so many people and I felt I had no support. Breastfeeding left me feeling alone and vulnerable at a time when I needed to know I was doing the right thing.

When did motherhood and making sure our child is fed become a competition? Why is acceptable only to breastfeed if you are a stay at home Mum, why do formula feeders feel judged when they are doing what is best for their child and situation. Why can't we all just support each other?

I was lucky, I found support in my Mum, a few breastfeeding mums and some bottle feeding mums too. I found my cheerleaders that helped me feed my son for a year and my daughter for 14 months. I shouldn't need a team to cheer me on, it should be one team and that is team healthy, child healthy Mum!

I loved breastfeeding (eventually) I didn't want to stop, it helped me through PND and if I am lucky enough to have another child I will definitely breastfeed again. I also know how hard it can be so will never ever judge any woman on her choice not to breastfeed. We are all in it together, as a Mum we feel guilty about everything, lets stop feeling guilty or ashamed about the way we feed.

The #postiveaboutbf is a great campaign to show breastfeeding in a more positive light and stop the judgement. When you have a child you need support, no matter what your situation, not judgement.

#positiveaboutbf is being positive about each others choices

#positiveaboutbf is about breaking negative stereotypes about feeding

#positiveaboutbf is about normalising breastfeeding

#positiveaboutbf is about respect



No comments:

Post a Comment

We will do our best to respond to your comment as soon as possible.